Backing up to a CD

Sarah89

Registered
I have quicken installed on my parallel's windows xp. I am trying to back it up to a CD or a Memory stick, and I can't seem to access either drives. How can I backup my data?

You can't boot up your Mac? You can't boot up windows via parallels?

For the windows side download Comodo backup and backup files to anther hard drive or cd, etc....

For your mac just use time machine, everything will be backed up including your parallels image.

I can boot everything up. When I'm using parallels windows, I try to backup to a CD or memory stick and it says those drives are unavialable. How do I make them available? I have checked off the usb and the cd in the devices window.

In parallels you need to make sure the devices have a check mark by them under the device menu or you won't see them (make sure they are enabled).

Did you install the parallel tools under the virtual machine?

Are you using parallels 3.x or 4.x?

v4.x should give you a pop up window that ask you if you want parallels or OSX to hande the usb device you just plugged or CD inserted. If you want parallels to handle (see) the device choose parallels.

Last edited:
I am running 2.5 (I think) and I just did an update. I need to install the tools and I don't know how. Do I need the original disk? Thanks for your help!

I don't quit recall the GUI for v2.5 but once you have windows up and running go to the top left of your screen (Apple at top left) and you should see the Word Parallels to the right of the Apple. Look across and Virtual Machine menu, highlight, scroll down to "install parallel tools." In v2.5 I can't remeber if you need disk. Just have your windows and parallels disks ready just incase they are asked for. Also have your internet connect running.

I can't find my disk! I don't have anything that says install tools under virtual machine, so I am assuming I need a disk. Should I upgrade? Would that solve all of my problems?

Back