How do you control the margins in TextEdit?

rubaiyat

Registered
How do you control the margins in TextEdit?

I am trying to create a manual which includes some screen snaps which fit on A4 paper, but TextEdit persistently has fat margins and won't print the images that are wider than width allowed by the margins.

The screen grabs appear on screen but when I print the document the wider images do not print although they leave a gap in the text equal to their height.

I have:

Adjusted the preferences:

• for window width which is in No of Characters (how wide is a character when you are using rtf?)

• checked Wrap to window which shows a page view but the margins don't change

• I have created an entire new page in Page Setup with fixed margins and selected it but nothing changes

Mac Help says the margins can be altered by dragging the page margin markers in the ruler, but they will not drag outside what seems to be the default margins, This wouldn't help with top and bottom margins anyway.

I have tried using Acrobat PDF as the printer but again I get no further options and nothing changes.

I am at my wits end. TextEdit is almost temptingly useful except for the weird UI.

Anyone have a clue how this sucker works?

Make a backup of the TextEdit app first, and you need the Developers tools installed.

Open the TextEdit.pbproj project in the Developer>Examples>Appkit> TextEdit folder,

Look for the following and change the 72 to 36 and hit the run button (or Build and Go Button).

- (NSPrintInfo *)printInfo {
if (printInfo == nil) {
[self setPrintInfo:[NSPrintInfo sharedPrintInfo]];
[printInfo setHorizontalPagination:NSFitPagination];
[printInfo setHorizontallyCentered:NO];
[printInfo setVerticallyCentered:NO];
[printInfo setLeftMargin:72.0];
[printInfo setRightMargin:72.0];
[printInfo setTopMargin:72.0];
[printInfo setBottomMargin:72.0];

Thanks both bobw and gdekadt. s:)

So I guessed right there is a 72pt/1"/25.4mm margin all round. Now who would have thought that was a good idea?

I'll try your suggestions.

You can just set the doc preferences in Text Edit/Preferences for the width of document that you want. No programming required.

I would recommend using a better design program for your document than TextEdit, but it will do if that's all you have. (The designer in me talkin here!) :cool:

Natobasso said:
You can just set the doc preferences in Text Edit/Preferences for the width of document that you want. No programming required.

Thought we'd been through that in my first post. Doesn't do anything.

Natobasso said:
I would recommend using a better design program for your document than TextEdit, but it will do if that's all you have. (The designer in me talkin here!) :cool:

Actually, except for the final quirks, TextEdit is extremely fast and easy to use for a job like this. Images are drag and drop and I've got around most of the other short comings by devious means s:)

I put together the whole manual in a bit over an hour and that included some thinking time.

Back