Post "how to upgrade old ipod to 2.0"-info here please!

senne

Registered
Several articles/sites are saying that old iPods can't upgrade to 2.0 because it's about marketing. Of course apple has the right to do this, so they sell more new iPods. But i'm sure that there will be some kind of hack for the old iPod to upgrade to 2.0 somewhere on the internet, soon.

So if you see "How-to upgrade old iPod to 2.0"-info on the internet somewhere: Post it here! So we can discuss if it's save to do the upgrade or not.

I would love to see 2.0 on my old iPod, especially for things like the Notes capability. There is no technical reason that that can't be made available to old iPods, other than marketing.

By the way, I disagree that marketing is a justafiable reason to prevent software updates to old iPods. They seem to be catching the disease (profit over customers); another example was restricting eMacs to academic users, then suddenly lifting the restriction and lowering the price.

Of course, there will inevitably be some features that the old iPod hardware does not support....

If they want to sell more new iPods, they'll just discontinue the old ones...

(Of course, after this little rant, I would love to chuck my old iPod for a new one :rolleyes: )

We can only guess that it's marketing. Perhaps there is a hardware reason which we are not aware of.

I have a Canon S100 digital camera. It can't capture short video clips like the newer Canon Digital Elph can. Canon doesn't offer me a firmware upgrade. Should I be upset?

Michaelsanford: I had a 5GB iPod, then a 20GB iPod. Yesterday I got a 30GB iPod. It's fantastic. I highly recommend you get a new one--sell the old one on eBay. The "upgrade" won't cost you much.

chabig: I will definately look into it.

As for being 'upset' about the possibility of not upgrading a classic iPod to 2.0, it's actually not hard to do a hardware test (see which model is running), disable the features that are not hardware-supported, and enable ones that are hardware-irrelevant (like Notes). But it's not going to make me switch back to Windows or anything hehe.

Back