Updating to os10.2 on my g3 500mhz imac

Socorso

Registered
How can I install os10.2 on my imac if I do not have a dvd?I've tried connecting it to my imac g5, but I cannot boot from the dvd as I am running 10.4 on the G5. HELP!

You could buy an external DVD style drive really cheap from most every vendor and use that to install. Firewire would be the best/fastest if you have firewire on your Mac.

I've tried to make a disk image onto a firewire drive to no avail. Any ideas? It won't let me install from it.

What kind of Mac OS X Install DVD is it? Mac OS X 10.2 came on CDs only -- DVDs were shipped with new computer purchases. Could it be that the 10.2 DVD you have is system-specific to a computer other than the iMac, perhaps a G4 or something?

If so, then a lot of times those grey "Software Restore" or "Software Install" DVDs will only install on the computer model they shipped with.

Yes. It is a 10.2.3 for a PowerBook G4. I was told that the system was universal and could be installed on any computer. I guess not. I successfully created a firewire drive copy of the dvd, but it will still not work. It tells me that I cannot install from the disk and that I need to use the original dvd. Oh well. All I want to do is update my 10.0.4 to at least 10.1. I can't find any updates online. Any ideas?

10.x.y updates in the Mac OS X world work in the following way:

1. Every "x" update is a paid version that brings significant changes to OS X.

2. Every "y" update is a free update to the 10.x version it pertains to since it either includes bug fixes or security patches. Some might also include some minor features that weren't included before.

So if you're using 10.0.0, then this highest you can update to for free is 10.0.4. 10.1 users can update to 10.1.5 at the most, and so on. If you're looking for a version that will work on your Mac at a good price, check the following link:

http://www.macsales.com

You can find a copy of Panther (10.3) for a good price there. And it's the actual installation disc, not the OEM version that you have.

Back